What Is It?
The YSEALI Professional Fellows Program gives participants ages 25-35 the opportunity to spend five weeks in the United States, including four weeks working directly with American counterparts in individually tailored work placements with non-profit organizations, state and local government, and private-sector offices across the country. During these placements, Fellows build their practical expertise, leadership skills, and professional networks. Following are the Professional Fellows exchange opportunities (applicants may apply to only one exchange):
- Economic Empowerment: An exchange focused on economic empowerment for young professional leaders from all 10 ASEAN nations.
- Environmental Sustainability: An exchange focused on the field of environmental sustainability for young professional leaders from all 10 ASEAN nations
- Legislative Process and Governance / Civic Engagement: An exchange focused on municipal legislative process and governance for young local government leaders from all 10 ASEAN nations.
- Legislative Process and Governance / Civic Engagement: An exchange focused on legislative process and governance for young political and policy leaders from 5 of the ASEAN nations: Burma, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines and Thailand.
- Civil Society / NGO Development: An exchange focused on management of civil society-based organizations for young leaders from 5 of the 10 ASEAN nations: Burma, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Who is eligible to apply?
Young professionals from all 10 ASEAN countries who are leading change and innovation in civil society, the public sector, or the private sector.
What are the eligibility requirements?
Applicants must be:
- Be community leaders, ages 25-35, currently employed and with at least two years of professional experience at the time of application;
- Have a track record of making an impact in their community, institution or company;
- Be proficient in spoken and written English at the time of application;
- Be a citizen of, and currently residing in, one of the ten ASEAN member nations
What are the selection criteria?
- Demonstrate a strong track record of leadership or positive impact in their community or workplace;
- Demonstrate knowledge, or professional experience in one of the YSEALI themes: civic engagement, environment and natural resources management, or entrepreneurship and economic development;
- Demonstrate a commitment or interest to community service, volunteerism, or mentorship;
- Indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States and ASEAN as a region;
- Be willing to actively participate in a professional work environment to develop professional capacities and leadership skills;
- Have a commitment to return to their home country to apply leadership skills and training to benefit their community, country, or the ASEAN region; and
- Preferably have little or no prior work, study, or travel experience in the United States.